Updated: March 27, 2020
Our offices are currently closed however we remain operational and are continuing to work to support our community. Staff continue to be virtually reachable and our contact information can be found here.
While we may be isolating ourselves, we can still help those in need. We’ve contacted many of our local charities, and will continue to do so weekly, to find out what they need most to provide for their clients. Check this list often and connect with the charities directly on other ways you can help.
- ArtHouse are accepting monetary donations in order to begin online programming.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Halton and Hamilton is accepting monetary donations. Please donate here.
- Canadian Blood Services is urging Canadians to keep their appointments to donate blood and continue to donate.
- Fare Share Food Bank remains open and is accepting monetary donations as well as items included on this list.
- Food4Kids Halton is taking monetary donations and will continue to feed children in the community by mailing grocery gift cards.
- Food For Life has cancelled some in-person programs. At this time they are asking for monetary donations to continue feeding the most vulnerable in our community.
- Halton Catholic Children’s Education Foundation is looking for support with basic necessities (i.e. food & clothing) for students and families in financial need. They are accepting monetary donations through their website.
- Halton Learning Foundation is continuing to accept financial donations online as we continue to support students in need who are identified to us by school staff.
- Home Suite Hope is looking for donations of diapers and grocery store and drug store gift cards.
- Joshua Creek Arts is looking for donations so that can begin online programming and classes.
- Kerr Street Mission is continuing to distribute food and is accepting monetary donations and donations of necessities.
- Oakville and Milton Humane Society has discontinued programs, events and adoptions however remain open by appointment for surrenders and to reunite lost pets. They are accepting monetary donations only.
- Oakville Meals on Wheels is accepting monetary donations on their website and continues to deliver meals. They are asking for volunteers to assist in delivering meals in the coming weeks. To volunteer please email email@example.com or call 905-842-1411.
- Oak Park Neighbourhood Centre is looking for bars of soap for their most vulnerable clients. Please check out their Facebook page for more details.
- Oakville Symphony Orchestra is accepting refund donations due to show cancellations.
- Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital COVID-19 Response Fund: needs donations to enable frontline healthcare workers to protect lives in our community and minimize the spread COVID-19.
- Safetynet Services is looking for monetary donations, as well as sizes 4, 5 and 6 diapers, feminine hygiene (preferably pads), underwear and sock for all ages, as well as donations of gently used clothing.
- Shifra Homes is accepting groceries, toiletries and monetary and financial supports.
- Wellspring Birmingham Gilgan House Wellspring Birmingham Gilgan House is accepting monetary donations for Well on the Web, Wellspring’s online support centre for cancer patients.
How to Support the Local Community
- Support people who are self-isolating, especially people without nearby family, elderly people, and people with a disability or long-term health condition such as cancer, diabetes and chronic lung disease. Many people will feel anxious about coronavirus and hearing from someone could go a long way to ease their concerns.
- The top areas of impact will be felt by food banks, food service agencies, community kitchens and mental health and social care charities.
- Buy tickets or gift cards for future community events and local organizations to show support for the greater community. Think about your local independent grocery store, movie theatre and more.
- Create wish lists for direct delivery to non-profit organizations and shelters that cannot currently receive in-person donations
- Thank a healthcare worker or volunteer. Health care workers and volunteers are making huge personal sacrifices to continue to care for their clients and reassure them. They are busier than ever, so words of encouragement help!
Additional Community services available
- Acclaim Health remains open with extra precautions in place for volunteers, staff and clients. Please consider becoming a volunteer or donating here.
- The Aids Network Oakville location is closed, however the van will continue to distribute naloxone and harm reduction supplies nightly from 7:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. Call or text 905-317-9966.
- CMHA is running free “walk-in” counselling by phone 289-291-5396. Please note callers will be contacted by a counsellor within 24 hours.
- Distress Centre Halton remains open and is taking precautions. Oakville community members can call 905-849-4541.
- ROCK has implemented a 24/7 crisis line for coronavirus anxiety, reachable at 905-878-9785.
- SAVIS Halton offices are closed, with a support line open 24/7 available at 905-875-1555.
- The Women’s Centre of Halton has suspended walk-in and group programs, however peer support remains available for Oakville community members by calling 905-847-5520.
Information for You
For current and up-to-date information in Halton Region, please see Halton Region’s COVID-19 update page. If you have symptoms or are considered high risk, you are advised to call 311 to begin the assessment process. If you have severe symptoms, please call 9-1-1 immediately.
For other information, please visit: